Enormous efforts have been made in major key sectors to achieve Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). As the result, Ethiopian economy witnessed sustainable double digit broad-based growth.
Ethiopia’s Export Items
Main Export Products of Ethiopia include, but not limited to, the following:
Ethiopia is the birth place of coffee and the largest exporter of coffee in Africa. More than 90% of the nation’s harvested coffee is organically produced. The inherently superior quality of Ethiopian highland Arabica coffee is unmatched, particularly in flavour and aroma. Ethiopia also produces several types of coffee, the water soluble extracts of which can be used for hot beverages, iced drinks, ice creams and in the confectionery industries.
Fruits, Vegetables and Flowers
- With a favourable climate, abundant labour, land and water resources, most regions of the country are suitable for the production of a wide range of tropical and sub-tropical fruits, vegetables and flowers
- The major vegetable export products are: Potatoes, green beans, okra, melons, white and red onions, shallots, cabbages, leeks, beetroots, carrots, green chillies, tomatoes and lettuce.
- The main exportable fruits are: Oranges, mandarins, grapefruits, mangos, guavas, lemons and lime
- Ethiopia is the second largest exporter of cut flower in Africa and the fourth in the world. Cut-flower exports include: Statices, alliums, roses and carnations.
Leather and leather products
- Ethiopia offers a wide range of processed and semi-processed hides and skins to the world market. Some of the products, such as Ethiopian highland sheepskin, which has gained international reputation for making gloves, are well-known for their quality and natural characteristics.
- The high quality Ethiopian hides and skins exports include: Pickled sheep skin, wet blue sheep skin, crust sheep skin, wet blue goat skin, crust goat skin, crust cow hides, finished garment leather, finished glove leather, lining/upper leather, suede leather, full grain leather, corrected grain leather, embossed leather and patent leather .
- The export of finished leather and leather products (such as leather garments, foot wear, gloves, bags and other leather articles) is also highly promising.
Oilseeds and Pulses
- Ethiopia is also one of the centres of origin in the world for several oil crop plants. Ethiopian oilseeds and pulses are known for their flavour and nutritional value as they are mostly produced organically. For instance, the Ethiopian white sesame seed is used as a reference for grading in international markets
- Major oilseeds and pulses exports include: Sesame seed, Niger seeds, linseeds, sunflower seeds, groundnuts, rape seeds, castor oil seeds, pumpkin seeds, haricot beans, pea-beans, horse beans, chick peas, lentils.
Some other products that Ethiopia exports to the world market include: Textile Fabrics and Garments, Live Animals and Meat, spices, Tea, beeswax, Mineral Products, Natural Gum.